[Distutils] A couple of questions on the PyPI API

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Sun Jan 12 17:55:51 CET 2014

I'm writing an application to maintain a mirror of PyPI package
metadata, and I'm trying to understand the changelog data. In
particular, I've not been able to find anything that lists the valid
values for the "action" element of a change record. Looking at what's
available if I just query the database, I get:

pkg rename from XXX
pkg, version remove
pkg remove Owner XXX
pkg remove Maintainer XXX
pkg update hosting_mode
pkg, version update list,of,fields
pkg, version new release
pkg add Owner XXX
pkg add Maintainer XXX
pkg, version add url XXX
pkg, version add XXX file YYY

But I don't think that can be all (for a start, there's no "add a new
package" - unless the "new release" action can have a version of None,
which I haven't seen)

Is there a full list anywhere? I had a brief look at the Warehouse
code, but short of tracking down all the places journal entries are
stored, I couldn't see a way of finding out.

Actually, given that the XMLRPC API only lets you get the releases of
a package, the release data for a given release or a list of the url
data for a given release, there's not really much need for me to worry
beyond that level (so, for example, add url and add file both just
mean "grab the url data and replace what's there", and "update" just
means "replace the package data but don't bother refreshing the
urls"). Does that sound reasonable?

Thanks,
Paul