[Distutils] Packaging today

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Fri Jan 10 02:23:37 CET 2014

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 10:43 PM, Steve Spicklemire <steve at spvi.com> wrote:

> So, related question: Should the Mac binaries also work with the
> python.org mac build?

Binary compatibility is best achieved on windows: the platform makes it
easier, and it is so painful to build stuff there that it would be insane
for vendors not to be compatible.

Mac is a whole different story. First, you have frameworks vs non
frameworks builds, and compilers/dev environments keep changing in
incompatible ways: you have gcc, gcc-llvm, clang, SDK which are tied to
xcode versions themselves tied to OS versions, it is a mess :)

Case in point, the python.org binaries are generally not compatible with
the system python provided by Apple (that is you can't use an installer
made for one with the other). At least in the scientific community, we
generally provide binaries for python.org, and I think it is good practice
to avoid touching the system python.

David