[Distutils] PEX at Twitter (re: PEX - Twitter's multi-platform executable archive format for Python)

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Sat Feb 1 20:43:48 CET 2014

On Sat, Feb 1, 2014 at 2:00 PM, Vinay Sajip <vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> On Sat, 1/2/14, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
>
> > Yes, that is definitely a design flaw in the ssl module that should
> > get remedied. Did you file a bug to add a new API (whether new
> > function or new parameters) to accept a file-like object or string
> > instead?
>
> While that might improve flexibility in how you use the ssl module, it
> sadly won't solve the problem in general. Some third party APIs
> will expect file paths, whereas others will require passing OS-level
> handles, rather than file-like objects - thus effectively requiring a
> file which you can open with os.open().

No one is talking about solving this problem overnight. But if we don't
want to bother putting the effort in now then the zipimport module might as
well get tossed as this is a constant issue that people are not designing
APIs to support. So if people are going to implicitly not support it
because no one is asking for them to care then we shouldn't try to support
it ourselves and make our lives easier (gods know the zipimport module is a
pain to keep working).

> There are other Python APIs which need a pathname - I know
> imp.load_dynamic() will be familiar to you :-)

Sure, but that's for technical reasons so it gets a pass (plus I didn't
design that API =).