[Distutils] setuptools 8 changes are great, but ...

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 16:11:12 CET 2014

On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 5:08 PM, Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:
> On 2014-12-16 02:25:33 -0500 (-0500), Donald Stufft wrote:
>> Openstack won’t be providing one, they are adapting server to PEP
>> 440 syntax.
> [...]
>
> Confirmed, we're very close now and will likely be interoperating
> with Setuptools 8 in our test infrastructure for all supported
> branches later this week (depending on what direction we end up
> going for embedded Git SHAs in unreleased dev sdist/wheel version
> strings).

It would be more useful if the powers behind OpenStack could sponsor
development of proper PEP scheme to untangle its own workflow instead
of relying on imperfect PEP solutions that are being done by
volunteers in their free time. I don't know where Donald finds his
time for all his contributions, but in my world it is unreal even
without full time job. Judging from activity in OpenStack community,
maybe it can teach PSF a thing or two.
--
anatoly t.