[Distutils] Varying dependencies by python minor version (2.7.9)

Ben Darnell ben at bendarnell.com
Fri Dec 12 17:09:26 CET 2014

Hi distutils-sig,

Tornado depends on backports.ssl_match_hostname on python 2, but this is no
longer needed with (cpython) 2.7.9. We have a PR to make this dependency
conditional on the minor version of python (
https://github.com/tornadoweb/tornado/pull/1276/files). We could also make
the test something like `hasattr(ssl, 'SSLContext')`, which would be more
compatible with pypy and other implementations, but the fundamental issues
remain. Is it a good idea to distribute packages that will install
different dependencies on different minor versions of python? Is it even
possible with binary distributions? I'm thinking it's probably best to just
live with the unused extra dependency (until we can completely drop support
for python versions without modern ssl libraries), but I wanted to check
and see if there is a clean way to deal with this.

Thanks,
-Ben