[Distutils] Are there any plans to move to pip/wheels in buildout?

Reinout van Rees reinout at vanrees.org
Tue Dec 2 13:53:19 CET 2014

On 01-12-14 14:55, Piotr Dobrogost wrote:
> Are there any plans to move from easy_install/eggs to pip/wheels in buildout?

I asked that too, once. I think Jim Fulton said that there was a
mismatch between pip's and buildout's goal. If I remember correctly the
problem is this:

- Pip installs everything into (normally) a virtualenv. So your have ONE
project with ONE single set of packages.

- Buildout allows different combinations of packages per part. So your
sphinx documentation buildout doesn't have to have your webserver
packages in its sys.path.

Jim, is that a fair summary? (Of course, this only looks at the python
package part of what buildout does, not at the whole recipe mechanism).

Something I don't understand here is that there *is* a single version
list. And so it feels like it doesn't really matter that much if you
just lump all the packages together (like pip does).

I could imagine a buildout that just uses pip every time it has to
install a python package. Feeding pip the version list, of course. And
then puts the buildout.cfg mechanism on top of it.

The alternative is, like Marius said in his reply, to use virtualenv +
pip + makefiles or so. And you'd have to add something that replaces the
recipes. For that, I really like buildout :-)

Reinout

--
Reinout van Rees                          http://reinout.vanrees.org/
reinout at vanrees.org                   http://www.nelen-schuurmans.nl/