[Distutils] README file format and pypi.python.org

PJ Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sun Sep 22 23:15:37 CEST 2013

On Sun, Sep 22, 2013 at 9:01 AM, Paul G. <paul.list at isrcomputing.com> wrote:
> 1. What format should I use in my README.txt file for my package's content
> to be displayed on its package page?

It's not the README file; it's the package's "long_description"
keyword, as specified in your setup.py setup() call.  And the format
is reStructuredText

> 2. Do I have to use a different extension for the README?

It doesn't matter, since the README is not read by PyPI.  (You can put
code in your setup.py to read the file into the long_description
field, though.  Take a look at other packages' setup.py files to see
how they do it.)