[Distutils] Bootstrapping pip and setuptools

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Wed Sep 18 13:49:47 CEST 2013

On 18.09.2013 13:09, Donald Stufft wrote:

> On Sep 18, 2013, at 3:54 AM, "M.-A. Lemburg" <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
>
>> Not sure whether this is interesting for anyone, but since I saw some
>> threads about bootstrapping pip and setuptools, I though I might
>> throw in a tool which does this.
>>
>> For a while now, we've been making eGenix PyRun available, a Python
>> run time that fits into a single file on Unix:
>>
>>    http://www.egenix.com/products/python/PyRun/
>>
>> It's a great virtualenv replacement and doesn't rely on the system
>> provided Python installation.
>>
>> Now, to make installation of PyRun even easier, we added an install
>> script called install-pyrun:
>>
>>    https://downloads.egenix.com/python/install-pyrun
>>
>> This script downloads the correct PyRun for the platform and
>> then goes on to bootstrap pip and setuptools fully automatically.
>> It does this by fetching the most recent versions of these tools
>> straight from PyPI, without relying on Python (or PyRun).
>>
>> The script is a simple bash script and uses curl or wget for
>> the fetch operation, so you get certificate checking, HTTPS,
>> etc. for free.
>
> Are you suggesting this as an alternative to PEP453 or just advertising
> it exists?

Not sure. It works today and is so easy to use, you simply
forget about all the complications it solves :-)

Upside: It works with Python 2.x and 3.x.
Downside: Unix only.

For Windows, using Python would be easier, perhaps using
curl and pycurl to do the SSL heavy lifting:
http://curl.haxx.se/download.html
http://pycurl.sourceforge.net/
https://github.com/pycurl-devs/pycurl/blob/master/examples/retriever.py

It should be possible to wrap all that into an .exe using py2exe
for Python 2.x and cx_Freeze for Python 3.x.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Sep 18 2013)
2013-09-11: Released eGenix PyRun 1.3.0 ...       http://egenix.com/go49
2013-09-20: PyCon UK 2013, Coventry, UK ...                 2 days to go
2013-09-28: PyDDF Sprint ...                               10 days to go

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/