[Distutils] pip does not work as expected from a zip

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Sep 12 19:51:22 CEST 2013

Daniel Holth <dholth <at> gmail.com> writes:

> In wheel's case the idea was to have pip verify that the optional
> dependency is new enough to work. The part inside pip could be changed
> to try: import wheel; check(wheel.__version__). IIRC the pip process
> itself does not directly use anything inside wheel and does not need
> to "import wheel".

I see what you're saying, but I was commenting about checks for setuptools
and pip. There's no analogous check for wheel, since as you say, pip doesn't
use wheel directly.

> However "setup.py bdist_wheel ...", run by pip in a subprocess, will
> not work unless setuptools can find wheel's plugin declaration. That
> won't work unless wheel's *.dist-info/entry_points.txt on sys.path.

Yes, I see. Perhaps it's a shame it was implemented that way, if it means
it's harder or not possible to run pip from a .zip  :-(

Regards,

Vinay Sajip