[Distutils] Comments on PEP 426

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Wed Sep 4 08:56:05 CEST 2013

Hi,

Paul Moore <p.f.moore <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On 3 September 2013 22:20, M.-A. Lemburg <mal <at> egenix.com> wrote:
> IMO, a much better way forward would be to integrate useful setuptools
> changes right back into distutils, so that the monkey patching
> no longer happens and python-dev can officially bless those
> set of changes.
>
> I'm curious about this possibility.

It seems everyone has the memory of a goldfish here?
Reintegrating useful third-party features, and generally improving
distutils, was Tarek's original work on distutils, then distutils2 /
packaging.

(Yes, it's a pity it was shot down, since all we are left now are
pie-in-the sky improvements that may happen 5 years down the road
for the average user)

Regards

Antoine.