[Distutils] Removing dependency_links

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Oct 27 13:19:02 CET 2013

On 27 Oct 2013 18:38, "Marcus Smith" <qwcode at gmail.com> wrote:

>> "we don't know what happens inside corporate firewalls"
>

> non-published use of dependency links could turn out to be the use-cases
that we'd get complaints about

>> To me, the best part of the more aggressive timeline is it means
>> CPython would never ship a version of pip that allows that particular
>> attack vector by default.
>>

> over IRC and on pypa-dev, I brought up the deprecate first point of view
in the context that we would be *removing the feature*.
> It's less drastic to flip defaults (and add a turn on)
>
> it's probably right that nobody will complain, but my thinking was this:
> - donald can add a hidden option for now for the sake of ensurepip (it
wouldn't clutter the cli, and can be removed later care-free)

Yeah, we at least need to do that much to meet the "ensurepip doesn't talk
to the internet" guarantee.

> - separate from that,  pip and setuptools deprecates together, then
completely removes dep-links support.  if its bad, it's bad. get rid of it.
let's reduce the options and clutter.

I'm happy to go with whatever you folks (as in pip & setuptools devs)
decide on that front. I prefer "flip the default & deprecate, then remove
later if nobody campaigns to keep it", but I'm also OK with the more
conservative "deprecate, then remove later".

Cheers,
Nick.