[Distutils] Plans for binary wheels, and PyPi and OS-X

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Oct 22 22:19:45 CEST 2013

On 23 Oct 2013 05:42, "Chris Barker" <chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 11:52 AM, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
>
> >> Thanks -- but really? don't OS-X wheels get:
> >>
> >> macosx_10_6_intel
> >>
> >> or some such tacked on? Where does that go wrong?
> >
> > Homebrew, Mac Ports, Fink. That would work OK if nobody ever installed
things
> > that the system didn't provide.
>
> OK -- yes, that will NEVER work. It's worse than the Linux situation.
>
> But then, it's the same everywhere -- if someone builds a binary wheel
> for Windows that depends on some non-standard dll, or is built against
> a weirdly custom-built Python, it won't work either.
>
> It's been more or less a consensus in the python-mac community that we
> seek to provide binaries for the Python.org pythons, and that they
> shouldn't depend on non-standard external libs -- just like on
> Windows. Major hard-to-build packages have been doing this for years:
>
> wxPython
> numpy, scipy, matplotlib
>
> But these installers often don't work with virtualenv, and can't be
> discovered or installed  pip or easy_install.
>
> So I think it would be VERY useful if we established this standard for
> PyPi and binary wheels.
>
> macports, fink, and homebrew have been doing their own thing for ages,
> and can continue to do so -- they HAVE package management built in,
> just like the linux distros. If they want to do wheels, they will need
> to make sure that the neccesary info is in the platform-tag. On my
> python.org build:
>
> 'macosx-10.6-i386'
>
> so they should patch their python to return something like:
>
> 'macosx-macports-10.6-i386'
>
> or just:
>
> 'macports-10.6-i386'
>
> and probably a macports version, rather than "10.6".
>
> However, the _point_ of macports, homebrew, etc, is that your stuff is
> all custom compiled for your system the way you have configured it --
> so binary wheels really don't make sense.

PEP 453 has had most of my attention lately, but my tentative thought has
been to introduce a relatively freeform "variant" field to the wheel spec.

Windows and Mac OS X would then default to an empty variant, while other
*nix systems would require a nominated variant

That would then cover things like SSE builds on Windows, alternative
sources on Mac OS X, etc.

However, worrying about that is a fair way down the todo list until
ensurepip and the CPython doc updates for PEP 453 are done, along with
everything else that has a 3.4b1 deadline :)

Cheers,
Nick.