[Distutils] Deprecate and Block requires/provides

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Thu Oct 17 17:26:04 CEST 2013

On Oct 17, 2013, at 11:23 AM, Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 11:20 AM, Michael Foord <fuzzyman at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On 17 October 2013 11:56, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
>>>
>>> Arguably it's already broken. I've had to explain to a number of people
>>> that it won't cause their dependencies to install. I think its way more user
>>> friendly to tell them up front then to confuse them when it doesn't work or
>>> when it appears to work but they get an error from a -
>>>

>> You're proposing replacing "arguably broken" (by some definition)
>
> Is there any reason to think that it ever actually worked in any way?

Depends what you mean by "worked", it does nothing except tell users
what they need available to ``import``. It doesn't tell them how to get that
or what provides it. As far as this piece of metadata is concerned requires
"xml" can be satisfied by ``touch xml.py``.

So it "works" in that it does what it was originally intended to do, it's just that
what it was originally intended to do is backwards and useless.

> Jim
>
> --
> Jim Fulton
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/jimfulton