[Distutils] pkg_resources get_distribution - zipfile support?

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Tue Oct 1 20:11:25 CEST 2013

On 1 October 2013 18:51, Daniel Holth <dholth at gmail.com> wrote:
> pkg_resources only finds distributions inside .egg and inside sys.path
> entries that are filesystem directories. You might be able to manually
> add a new Distribution instance to working_set or start looking for a
> place to add the feature here:

OK, I thought that might be the case.

Context - you can't run pip/setuptools from uninstalled wheels to do
pip.main(['install', '--use-wheel', '<wheelfile>']) because
--use-wheel checks for a suitable version of setuptools using
find_distribution. So the check fails. This is for virtualenv bundling
wheels rather than sdists for faster creation.

Looks like I'll have to work out a patch for pip to allow disabling
that check somehow, or modifying it to use setuptools.__version__
rather than find_distribution.

Paul