[Distutils] pkg_resources get_distribution - zipfile support?

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Tue Oct 1 18:59:05 CEST 2013

I'm having trouble using pkg_resources.get_distribution, and I'm not
sure if it's because what I'm trying to do is unsupported (likely) or
if I'm doing something wrong (also possible :-()

I have a wheel file - essentially a zip file containing a
distribution, plus a dist-info directory. If I put that zipfile on
sys.path, I can import from it with no issues. However, if I try to do
pkg_resources.get_distribution to find the distribution contained in
that wheel/zipfile I get nothing back.

Is this a bug, or an unsupported feature, or should I do something
particular to make it work?

Thanks,
Paul