[Distutils] Distribution format for Python3 libraries

PJ Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Nov 20 00:21:51 CET 2013

On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 5:24 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Perhaps it would be worth breaking the environment markers out as their own
> PEP?

As I said back then, I think *everything* in PEP 426 is worth breaking
out into its own PEP.  ;-)

Less jokingly, I think that the scope of PEP 426 includes many things
that have different (if overlapping) audiences, and splitting it into
smaller pieces will help those audiences concentrate on the bits
relevant to them.

The audience for markers is a subset of the audience for requirement
specs, which is a subset of the audience for version syntax.  Lots of
other subtopics are of interest mainly to build tool and distro
makers, so there's little point in making everybody read everything.
(Also, a lot of these smaller things are (hopefully) easier to reach
consensus on, at which point the PEPs are settled and allow moving
discussion on to the more open issues.)

So, yes, good idea to break out environment markers.  ;-)