[Distutils] Proposal: Restrict the characters in a project name

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Wed May 15 19:39:35 CEST 2013

On May 15, 2013, at 1:36 PM, PJ Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 7:17 AM, Eric V. Smith <eric at trueblade.com> wrote:
>> It looks like space causes most of the issues. I'm not sure how
>> "Twisted Flow >= 1.0" would be expected to parse.
>
> You would spell it "Twisted-Flow>=1.0", at least for setuptools-based
> tools.  Setuptools already restricts effective package name characters
> to [a-z0-9.-], and limits the names in some other ways.  For example,
> you can't have multiple dashes in a row.
>
> Btw, I'm not sure that restricting the character set is actually going
> to fix confusion problems.  Donald's "Djang-" example actually works
> because the command line tools interpret the request as being for a
> package called "Djang-", and if I understand correctly, you would
> still be able to register a package named "Djang-" on PyPI.  I think
> that tools will need to more explicitly address the issue of 8-bit
> data in their input, e.g. by rejecting it.

Yea that was coming next after/if this went through. I alluded to that by saying that tools would have a much clearer path towards what exactly a distribution name could have but yea assuming this gets accepted/goes through my next step was to open tickets in the respective tools trackers to ensure that this problem is solved there too.

Donald Stufft