[Distutils] "packaging-user" mailing list?

PJ Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sat Mar 30 17:51:03 CET 2013

On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 5:28 PM, Marcus Smith <qwcode at gmail.com> wrote:
> Some of the pypa people have been discussing beginning a "packaging-user"
> mailing list.
>
> - It would be open to *any* packaging or install user issues.
> - It would be on python.org
> - pip/virtualenv would use it instead of our "virtualenv" list
> - Other projects could(would) use it too: Setuptools (old and new),
> Distribute, wheel, buildout, bento? etc...
>
> I think python users would appreciate the simplicity of this, and the
> support would be better too I think.

But all the developers who actually give support are here, aren't
they?  Certainly I do setuptools support here, and Jim does buildout
support.  And all the people already being sent here from other
sources aren't going to stop being sent here.

> distutils-sig would maintain it's current focus as a place for development
> discussions.

It's actually mostly a support forum that has periodic surges of
development discussion.  Granted, the current development surge is
bigger and longer than any that have happened in a while.  ;-)