[Distutils] Builders vs Installers

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 20:20:06 CET 2013

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 8:08 PM, Daniel Holth <dholth at gmail.com> wrote:
> We have a different definition of build tools if installing an sdist
> that has a C extension doesn't make pip a build tool already.

Then the word "build tool" is irrelevant, and the whole discussion of
builders vs installers is pointless, since installers in the meaning
most people use it within Python by necessity also are builders.

The point is still that pip IMO should be a tool to *install*
distributions, not *make* distributions. That's what is relevant. If
the word "builder" does not describe the too that builds distribution
then lets not use that word.

//Lennart