[Distutils] Builders vs Installers

Daniel Holth dholth at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 05:08:02 CET 2013

> Yea, it's totally about keywords and that's just not an example of a larger problem (like embedding little mini json documents) and what we need is another competing standard all because of a legacy file format for a file that barely anything uses right now (which makes it the ideal time _to_ replace it, before it starts being actively used in a widespread fashion).

We need approximately five fields:

Name
Version
Provides-Extra
Requires-Dist
Setup-Requires-Dist

the rest are useless, never need to be parsed by anyone, or are
already sent to pypi as a dict.

We need the environment markers language.

We need the requirements specifiers >= 4.0.0, < 9.

Define the JSON serialization and we'll have this format converted in
50 lines of code or less. It's that easy.