[Distutils] PEP439 and backward compat / easy_install / distlib

Daniel Holth dholth at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 12:06:42 CET 2013

On Mar 26, 2013 5:28 AM, "Ronald Oussoren" <ronaldoussoren at mac.com> wrote:

> On 25 Mar, 2013, at 19:16, PJ Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> >

> > Also, as far as detecting the need for setuptools, I think that can be
> > done just by noticing whether the PKG-INFO included in an sdist is
> > metadata 2.0 or not.  If it is, then setuptools should be explicitly
> > declared as a build-time dependency, otherwise it's not needed.  If
> > it's an older metadata version, then you probably need setuptools.
>
> Is it even necessary to automaticly install setuptools? Setuptools-using
package are supposed to use  ez_setup.py, or distribute_setup.py for
distribute, to ensure that the setuptools package is available during
setup.  Although I must admit that I have no idea how many packages still
do this instead of assuming that users will have installed setuptools
anyway.

> Ronald

We really really really want to get rid of ez_setup. It is considered by
many to be the example of something that should not happen as a side effect
of running a build script.

When packages no longer have to install themselves, they can just mention
setup-requires and the installer grabs the necessary setuptools.