[Distutils] A new, experimental packaging tool: distil

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Mar 26 11:57:16 CET 2013

Paul Moore <p.f.moore <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I installed coverage into an empty virtuwlenv based on Python 3.3.
>
> It installed coverage-2.7 and coverage2 executables into Scripts. Why
> 2.7? Where did it get the idea that this was a Python 2.7
> installation? I ran distil with the python 3.3 that is installed in
> the virtualenv.

Ah. The metadata (see [1] for an example) mentions "coverage-2.7" as a script, as
it was built on 2.7. That shouldn't really be in the metadata - there should be a
single declaration, which is used by distlib/distil to create version-specific
aliases.

I've now removed it from the metadata from 3.6, you could try again using

distil install "coverage (3.6)"

to make sure you pick up the version I changed.

Regards,

Vinay Sajip

[1] http://www.red-dove.com/pypi/projects/C/coverage/package-3.6b3.json