[Distutils] PEP439 and upgrading pip

Marcus Smith qwcode at gmail.com
Sat Jun 15 08:02:33 CEST 2013

> 1. We should write the bootstrapped pip to the same location that
> we're installing the package to (so system global, user local or
> current venv).

this makes sense for global and user installs, but not venv?
when you're in a venv, you're using the pip installed in that specific
venv, not the bootstrap.

and just to confirm about user install bootstrapping, it would work like
this?
- user1 happens to run "pip3 install --user django" as his first pip3
command
- the bootstrap installs pip to /home/user1/.local
- thereafter, user1's executions of pip3 detects the importable pip in user
local, and does no more bootstrapping
- user2 runs "pip3 install --user django" as his first pip3 command
- the bootstrap installs pip to /home/user2/.local

and if instead user1 ran "sudo pip install django" as his first command,
pip get's installed globally.
and thereafter, all users would be using a global installed pip, no matter
what they're first command was.

Marcus