[Distutils] PyPI Download Counts

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 15:59:15 CEST 2013

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 10:51 AM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10 June 2013 17:34, holger krekel <holger at merlinux.eu> wrote:

> than

> things).
> why not
> only way
> by your
> >>
> >> And, indeed, we plan to run future changes of this magnitude through
> >> the PEP process for exactly this reason. We can't promise not to break
> >> some features in order to achieve gains we think are worth the loss,
> >> but we *can* promise not to break such features without advance
> >> warning and explicit consideration of alternatives that may allow us
> >> to avoid the breakage in the first place.

And the necessary precondition for that is status.python.org - heartbeat
indicator, development roadmap and a dashboard with current issues that
needs response from the community.

> In the specific case of PyPI, mainly Donald (as the one doing almost
> all the development work for the recent PyPI improvements), Richard
> (as the PyPI development lead) and Noah (as the python.org
> infrastructure lead). I'm less directly involved in PyPI changes (I'm
> still working mostly on the next draft of PEP 426 rather than anything
> more near term), but I'm still involved enough to want to say "we"
> rather than "they" :)
>
> The main issue that arose with the PyPI CDN change was that while it
> *was* discussed, the discussion happened on infrastructure-sig rather
> than here, so most PyPI client developers didn't hear about it until
> after the switch was already flipped.

Right. You need to scrape several mailing lists and then explicitly monitor
the threads that are interesting to be aware of the stuff that happening.
Send thanks to people writing infrastructure reports - they are really
helpful. status.python.org can contain such summaries prepared
collaboratively for release using Etherpad. In this case you can expect
more people to pop in.

Also, I must add that the PSF blog and Python Insider blogs are not
interesting. Sorry guys, but the stats don't lie. There should be a more
technical and concise blog resource. Python community should be more
inclusive for people without advanced English, and provide some tasty for
them too.
--
anatoly t.