[Distutils] PyPI Download Counts

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Sun Jun 9 20:33:17 CEST 2013

On Jun 9, 2013, at 9:20 AM, holger krekel <holger at merlinux.eu> wrote:

>> There
>> are many CDN providers out there and I suspect so far only Fastly was
>> contacted. The primary responsibility of that coordinator is correctly
>> sending the message for CDN provider that PyPI is a public exhibition of
>> their service quality, and not a tax exemption for charity. I'd say Fastly
>> should be interested to help with making us download stats exposed in a
>> convenient API friendly way, because real-time stats is the key feature of
>> their marketing advantage as I see it.
>
> FYI Fastly has been responding swiftly and responsibly so far, as far as
> i could follow it.  And Donald has been helping people on various fronts
> (not only Fastly related) and been the main driver of the CDN move,
> thankfully.  Things are starting to work more smoothly now and i guess
> some bumps in the road were unavoidable because they only show up in
> real life.

Fastly has been a dream to work with. They've been fast at fixing and
diagnosing issues, have helped tune the config to get a higher hit rate,
and when they heard that people were upset that download counts
had to be turned off they offered the logging support to be turned on
for our account.

The infrastructure is setup to receive the logs (and intact was receiving
logs for a day or so) but upgrades to the VM that runs PyPI needs to
occur before we can continue receiving them. The disk drive that PyPI
has is to small to handle the volume of request data that is coming in
from Fastly and it quickly filled up in under 24 hours. Upgrading that
space requires powering off the VM so we (The Infra team) are working
on doing that, ideally without downtime on PyPI.

Donald Stufft