[Distutils] [ANN] pypiserver 1.1.1 - minimal private pypi server

Ralf Schmitt ralf at systemexit.de
Sat Jun 1 23:26:14 CEST 2013

holger krekel <holger at merlinux.eu> writes:

>> How does it compare to http://pypi.python.org/pypi/devpi-server?
>
> the main differences as i see them (note i am the devpi-server author, though):
>
> - pypiserver supports uploading to private indexes,
>   devpi-server not yet (but next week / on trunk already :)

I still consider that a bug. scp works much better. I'm not sure if
devpi-server maintains some kind of database, but I consider it a big
plus to be able to just copy files and directories to the package
directory and serve them instantly.

> - pypiserver has no dependencies (ships bottle inline),
>   devpi-server depends on redis (to be dropped next week for no-dep fs-storage)
>   and bottle, requests, py, all proven libraries.

nice, I'll try it if the redis dependency is gone.

> - pypiserver redirects the lookup of pypi packages to pypi.python.org,

that's related to a weak point of pypiserver: you currently have to
parse the log files and look for HTTP redirects if you like to know what
packages are missing in the local package directory.

you also can't install a specific version of a package if the package
directory doesn't have that specific version but a different version.
this may or may not be good depending on your use case.

redirects can also be completely disabled, so pip/easy_install only see
the packages in the package directory.

>   devpi-server caches them and serves everything (including #egg-links)
>   through itself, allowing complete offline operations (including
>   caching/serving of 3rd party site's packages) using the
>   extended PEP381 mirror protocol
>
> - pypiserver has a good and simple implementation, devpi-server is
>   little more complex mostly due to its caching/crawling logic.
>
> - both are very well tested and maintained but pypiserver is out there
>   for a longer time already, so has seen more RL-testing.
>
> Ralph, please add/comment as you see fit.

pypiserver exhibits it's WSGI application and might be easier to deploy
using different WSGI servers.

--
Cheers
Ralf