[Distutils] Migrating Hashes from MD5 to SHA256

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Sat Jul 27 18:43:53 CEST 2013

On Jul 27, 2013, at 7:12 AM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:

> Donald Stufft <donald <at> stufft.io> writes:
>> Most people will use the setuptools bundled with virtualenv which has
>> only ever bundled 0.6 or 0.9.
>
> Why do you think that? According to PyPI:
> - virtualenv:
> 4664 downloads in the last day
> 34512 downloads in the last week
> - setuptools:
> 23901 downloads in the last day
> 197351 downloads in the last week
>
> Certainly setuptools use seems much more widespread than virtualenv use.
>
> Regards
>
> Antoine.

Comparing download numbers isn't generally useful. People
almost never install virtualenv more than once per machine. There
are a myriad of reasons why they might directly install setuptools.

It's impossible to know for sure how it'll be gotten but my gut is
that most people use whatever is default inside of virtualenv
because that's how almost everyone i've seen who uses virtualenv
does it unless they have special needs.

However the 0.9 line have almost as many downloads alone as the
0.7 and 0.8 lines combined.

Donald Stufft