[Distutils] What to do about the PyPI mirrors

Richard Jones r1chardj0n3s at gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 07:38:26 CEST 2013

Hi all,

I've just been contacted by someone who's set up a new public mirror
of PyPI and would like it integrated into the mirror ecosystem.

I think it's probably time we thought about how to demote the mirrors:

- they cause problems with security (being under the python.org domain
causes various issues including inability to use HTTPS and cookie
issues)
- they're no longer necessary thanks to the CDN work

So, things to do:

- links and information on PyPI itself can be removed
- tools that use mirrors still need to be able to but mention of using
public mirrors is probably something to demote

These are just rough thoughts that occurred to me just now.

    Richard