[Distutils] get-pip.py user installation issue

Alex Burke alexjeffburke at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 15:59:31 CEST 2013

Hey,

I was recently trying to do an all user installation of the packaging
tools and (though I know this may change), was unable to use
get-pip.py to install pip user locally as per PEP 370.

Currently, instead of doing the ideal:

# install pip
$ curl https://raw.github.com/pypa/pip/master/contrib/get-pip.py |
python - --user

I instead had to download the pip tarball, unpack it, and use setup.py
to manually pass in --user as follows:

# install pip
$ curl -O https://pypi.python.org/packages/source/p/pip/pip-1.3.1.tar.gz
$ tar xvfz pip-1.3.1.tar.gz
$ cd pip-1.3.1
$ python setup.py install --user

I think this happens because there is no code to pass down command
line options into the pip bootstrap() called on de-serialisation. By
contract this is possible to install setuptools locally:

# install stuptools
curl https://bitbucket.org/pypa/setuptools/raw/0.7.8/ez_setup.py |
python - --user

Am I right in thinking this is a problem? If so, but in case patching
this is a non starter as it will be replaced by a bootstrap script
installing a wheel, perhaps that may need to respect the --user
argument?

Thanks, Alex J Burke.