[Distutils] entry points PEP

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Fri Jul 19 11:48:52 CEST 2013

On 19 July 2013 09:35, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Not sure, I hadn't even the idea of letting people register arbitrary
> "we install this script". Heck, I haven't even worked out what I want
> the format to look like :)

That's the big legacy issue. The old distutils script= argument just dumps
arbitrary files into the scripts location. I thought people only used that
for the same thing that setuptools entry points can do (and so could safely
be treated as "legacy, phase it out") but Daniel has scanned PyPI and tells
me otherwise :-(

There's also setuptools itself, which generates exes and py files (on
Windows, on Unix presumably just a #! script) which are then effectively
"legacy-style" scripts  It could certainly be changed to just write
metadata, but as per the other thread this would be a functionality change
that people seem to feel would be unacceptable.

> I'll take that into account now, though.

Best of luck :-)

Paul