[Distutils] Q about best practices now (or near future)

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jul 19 01:20:54 CEST 2013

Daniel Holth <dholth <at> gmail.com> writes:

> PJE is correct that if we surprise people with non-pkg_resources
> console_scripts then we will break things for people who are more
> interested in a working packaging experience.

Do you mean that you think multiple versions have to be supported, and that's
why console scripts should remain pkg_resources  - dependent?

If you don't think that multiple version support is needed, then the non-
pkg_resources versions of the script should be able to locate the function to
call from the script, assuming it can import the module. Are you saying that
the import or function call will fail, because the distribution didn't
reference setuptools as a dependency, and yet expects it to be there?

Regards,

Vinay Sajip