[Distutils] Q about best practices now (or near future)

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 08:45:24 CEST 2013

On 18 July 2013 02:03, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:

> it's simple to upgrade the pip if the user requires a newer version
> of pip using ``pip install --upgrade pip`

Please don't gloss over the potential issues with upgrading in the face of
in-use exe wrappers. We have a design for a solution, but as yet no working
code. I expect to work on this, but my time is limited and I'm not at all
sure there won't be issues still to resolve. (Obviously, anyone else is
welcome to help, but it's a "windows issue", so I don't know how much
interest there will be from non-Windows developers).

Prior to the setuptools move away from 2to3, my standard response to anyone
reporting issues with in-place upgrades of setuptools or pip (certainly on
Windows, and in general anywhere else too) was "well, don't do that -
remove and reinstall manually". Things are better now, but not yet perfect
and I don't believe that there is a consensus that this is acceptable for a
bundled pip.

Paul