[Distutils] Q about best practices now (or near future)

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Thu Jul 18 01:57:13 CEST 2013

On Jul 17, 2013, at 7:36 PM, Vinay Sajip <vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Just a few days
> ago you were saying that python -m getpip would be good to have, then I
> created a getpip module, and now AFAICT it hasn't even been looked at, while
> people gear up to do shed-loads of work to bundle pip with Python.

There was discussion around ``python -m getpip`` and the general thinking of that
thread was that expecting users to type in an explicit command was adding extra
steps into the process (and placing a dependency on the network connection
being available whenever they happen to want to install something) and that was
less than desirable. On top of that it was also the general thinking of that thread that
implicitly bootstrapping during the first run was too magical and too prone to
breakages related to the network connection.

Bundling at creation of the release files or during install time is what's in play at the
moment. Personally I feel that bundling is the least error prone and most likely
to work in the largest number of cases. Given that this one major target of this
is beginners minimizing the number of places something can fail at seems to be
the most useful option. Throw in the fact that it makes offline installations match the
online installations better and I think it's the way it should go.

Donald Stufft