[Distutils] Replacing pip.exe with a Python script

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 15:39:30 CEST 2013

I'm looking at the possibility of replacing the current setuptools entry
point based pip executables with Python scripts. The biggest problem is
that a script "pip.py" shadows the pip package, making "import pip" fail.

I can get round this by deleting sys.path[0] (the location of the currently
running script) but how robust is that? Are there any corner cases where it
would break? Or alternatively, is there a better way to do this rather than
messing directly with sys.path? I suspect this is a fairly common question,
but my Google-fu is failing me :-(

Sorry, I know this is a basic Python coding question - in my defence, it's
for something related to the current pip discussions :-)

Paul