[Distutils] PEP 439 and pip bootstrap updated

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jul 12 19:42:49 CEST 2013

Donald Stufft <donald <at> stufft.io> writes:

> Yes it's a goal to get rid of setup.py install, but I doubt it will ever
> fully be gone. At least not for a long time. There's almost 150k source
> dist packages on PyPI and I'm going to assume the vast bulk of them have
> a setup.py.

True, but distil seems to be able to install a fair few (certainly the ones
which don't do significant special processing in their setup.py, such as
moving files around and creating files) without ever executing setup.py.

> It's not ideal, but it's also largely only an issue on the machine of
> the developer who is packaging the software. If they are fine with the
> hacks then there's not a major reason to move them away from that.

It's a smaller community than the users of those projects, and I don't know
what the numbers of affected developers are. Obviously it's up to each
project how they do their stuff, but from my understanding the NumPy/SciPy
communities aren't especially happy with the extensions they've had to do
(else, why Bento?)

Regards,

Vinay Sajip