[Distutils] pip install --upgrade bug on python3.x

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jan 10 17:38:42 CET 2013

Paul Moore <p.f.moore <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I'd suggest offering it to upstream - let them review it and take a
> view. I agree it's not something to do lightly, though. But it does
> seem to address a number of issues:
> - The one in this thread
> - An issue I had where building via 2to3 caused failures related to
> not being able to delete temp directories (I never quite understood
> the problem, likely to be antivirus software interference, but
> installing from an egg resolved it)
> - The slowness of installs using 2to3

True enough - I expect that at least some of the distribute maintainers read this
list, so perhaps they can take this post as an invitation to take a look.

I just merged with the latest changes in the official distribute branch. All
tests pass on Python 2.6 and 3.2; the earlier errors on 2.4 and 2.5
(attempting writes to a system site-packages directory) still remain.

Regards,

Vinay Sajip