[Distutils] Some clarifications and/or corrections to PEP 376

Antonio Cavallo a.cavallo at cavallinux.eu
Fri Jan 4 12:06:09 CET 2013

Absolute path do make some sense in different contexts.

For example a server (system wide installed) as administrator I'm
expecting my config files to be under /etc.

As user ("personal") I'm expecting my config files (for the same
application) could be under ~/.somewhere

A in-between could be the same application to be system wide installed
(*but not configured system wide*) used as user so I'm expecting the
config coming from merged between /etc and ~/.somewhere.

I'm saying this thinking of a unix box, windows pretty much follows the
same pattern, macos is someway different (unles fink/macports aren't
taken into account).

And I'm talking about **applications** (eg. some code + some library
depending on an installed python stack) vs **libraries** (code simply
installed along the current python stack).

So far I haven't seen anything like a graph (uml or just nice) of the
different roles explained and discussed: reason why there've been so
many failures in rewriting distutils in my humble opinion.

*better crawling in the right direction than running in the wrong one*

Antonio

PS. There's  a the subtile (but very important) difference between
installation and configuration: so far many fail to see it (until it
bites them).