[Distutils] buildout.dumppickedversions and buildout_versions

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Fri Jan 4 08:42:12 CET 2013

Hi Jim,

On 03/01/2013 12:35, Jim Fulton wrote:
>> Yeah, the stuff that buildout.dumppickedversions and buildout_versions
>> provide should just be in the core.
>>
>> Jim, if I worked up a pull request would you merge it?
>
> Maybe :)  I tried to look at buildout.dumppickedversions and
> buildout_versions and
> I couldn't quite tell what they were for or how they were different.
> Are they different?
> Or are they 2 versions of the same thing?

buildout_versions is a fork of buildout.dumppickedversions

> thing and http://packages.python.org/buildout_versions/index.html doesn't state
> what problem it solves.

Try http://packages.python.org/buildout_versions/use.html

The basic problems solved:

- when un-pinned, non-developed packages are encountered, report the
versions buildout ended up picking

- if a file is specified (which can be buildout.cfg), append those those
un-pinned versions to the end of that file

- if a python version is specified, blow up if a different version is
used to run buildout.

> Alternatively, I'd be open to adding an API to make writing an
> extension possible
> without depending on internal implementation details.

I reckon it should just be in the core.

cheers,

Chris

             - http://www.simplistix.co.uk