[Distutils] The Wheel specification and compatibility tags on Windows

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Feb 28 21:01:48 CET 2013

Paul Moore <p.f.moore <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I'm confused here, because you're mixing up tags. I agree that the ABI
> tag would have to be different. But cpXY is the *python* tag. Are you
> saying that extensions for Python compiled with a different MSVCRT
> should be considered as for a different implementation of Python? I
> can see an argument for that, but I'm not sure it's strong enough to
> justify changing that as well as the ABI tag.

I feel the same way - the Python tag doesn't need to change, but the ABI tag
does. For Windows, we (eventually) need some low-level sysconfig-supported way
to get the ABI information in an analogous way to how it happens on POSIX: and
because that's not currently there, distlib doesn't provide any ABI information
on Windows other than "none".

Regards,

Vinay Sajip