[Distutils] Wheel support added to distlib

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Feb 20 00:56:44 CET 2013

Daniel Holth <dholth <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Wheel carefully preserves the meaningless purelib - platlib distinction even
> though they are the same path. If you have a mixed archive you should use
> platlib.
>
> It is legal but inadvisable to have both! The other one would go into
> .data/platlib or .data/purelib

There's a further issue, as relates to .dist-info. If a wheel were to
incorporate dependencies, then installing a wheel would lead to different
results from e.g. installing from source, unless the wheel contained a
.dist-info for all the distributions in the wheel. The spec makes no mention of
multiple .dist-info files - were these ever intended to be there? I had assumed
not. If multiple dists in a wheel are to be entertained, it would make more
sense to *always* have .data/purelib and .data/platlib (I know they are
generally always the same, but whatever :-).

Sorry I never brought this up earlier - I just assumed that wheels were for
one distribution, only in a binary format. They're still a win if that's the
case, it's just that playing with the wheeler.py script got me thinking about
dependencies...

Regards,

Vinay Sajip