[Distutils] Bootstrapping Buildout 2.x without a network connection

Philippe Ombredanne pombredanne at nexb.com
Mon Feb 18 17:57:36 CET 2013

On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 1:44 AM, Reinout van Rees <reinout at vanrees.org> wrote:
> On 17-02-13 03:25, Philippe Ombredanne wrote:
>>
>> The new bootstrap script for buildout 2.0 always attempt to download
>> distribute_setup.py instead if distribute is not available:
>>
>> See:https://github.com/buildout/buildout/blob/ee709cfb00229fbd8fc8554db8ffffdf06a46808/bootstrap/bootstrap.py#L81
>> exec(urlopen('http://python-distribute.org/distribute_setup.py').read()
>
> Buildout 2 only works with distribute, not with setuptools. So it isn't
> unexpected that it downloads the distribute_setup.py.
Agreed, but the boostrap1 script can be pointed to a pre-downloaded
distribute_setup.py.
The new one cannot, I think this is a regression.

> So you'll have to use setuptools instead of distribute in your offline
> environment.
I guess you meant the to use distribute instead of setuptools?
Because using setuptools would mean I cannot use buildout2?

--
Philippe Ombredanne

+1 650 799 0949 | pombredanne at nexB.com
DejaCode Enterprise at http://www.dejacode.com
nexB Inc. at http://www.nexb.com