[Distutils] [buildout] weird behaviour with system-installed packages and cross-buildout contamination

Chris Withers chris at python.org
Wed Feb 13 10:15:41 CET 2013

On 13/02/2013 08:59, Reinout van Rees wrote:
> On 13-02-13 00:45, Chris Withers wrote:
>> But wait, I don't have a bin/nosetests. Hmm, okay, well, am I right in
>> guessing this is to do with Buildout 2's desire not to try and protect
>> you form system packages? If so, not problem with it not installing a
>> new nose, but surely it's a bug that I don't end up with bin/nosetests?
>
> I looked at your code and I cannot find a dependency on nose. Not in the
> buildout.cfg and not in the setup.py. So buildout rightfully doesn't
> give you a bin/nosetests.
>
> I *do* see nose in "tox.ini", but that's not something that buildout reads.

You're ignoring these lines in setup.py:

https://github.com/Simplistix/testfixtures/blob/py3k/setup.py#L16

I don't want to maintain a list of test dependencies in two files,
testfixtures[test] will give you the same list of dependencies as the
tox testenv.

cheers,

Chris

             - http://www.simplistix.co.uk