[Distutils] PEP 426, round 733 ;)

a.cavallo at cavallinux.eu a.cavallo at cavallinux.eu
Tue Feb 5 11:35:54 CET 2013

I followed in the past the discussion that lead to the pep. I've lost any
interest in it because I had a clear perception there was more interest in
"splitting the hair" that solving any real problem, *and that was years ago*.
That alone should trigger some doubt about the validity of the points made.

My whole point would be: if walks like a duck sounds like a duck *don't call it a
plane*.
*If a version has to be enforced* it'd better sommething simple as a
major.minor[.micro] or an integer or a timestamp for that matter. Something that
could be "simply" sorted without requiring magic handling.

Ideally it would be something that connects to the source revision number (as in
subversion) or the integral id or even a timestamp (that's what an exported
version must be).

BTW Rpm has a "version" and (as fallback) an Epoch field overriding the version
to "repair" such a problem: not used often these days, but it is there.