[Distutils] Comments on PEP 426

Oscar Benjamin oscar.j.benjamin at gmail.com
Sat Aug 31 17:41:02 CEST 2013

On 31 August 2013 16:18, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Even the current bento issue mentioned in this thread appears to be Windows specific.

I don't think you read what I wrote properly.

There are two aspects to the bento issue:
1) Somehow pip isn't picking up bento's egg info directory.
2) There's a bug in pip where it tries to os.remove() a file before closing it.

The bug in 2) only shows up as an error on Windows and only when the
code path from 1) is triggered. However it is definitely a bug in pip.

For issue 1) I don't know enough about setuptools to understand what's
different about bento's setup.py. The egg_info command works AFAICT:

$ curl https://pypi.python.org/packages/source/b/bento/bento-0.1.1.tar.gz
> b.tgz
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100  568k  100  568k    0     0  3039k      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 3324k
$ tar -xzf b.tgz
$ cd bento-0.1.1/
$ ls
LICENSE.txt  PACKAGERS.txt  README.rst  THANKS  bento  bento.info
bentomakerlib  bootstrap.py  bscript  setup.py
$ py -2.7 setup.py egg_info
running egg_info
running build
running config
$ ls
LICENSE.txt    README.rst  bento           bento.info     bootstrap.py  build
PACKAGERS.txt  THANKS      bento.egg-info  bentomakerlib  bscript       setup.py
$ ls bento.egg-info/
PKG-INFO  SOURCES.txt  dependency_links.txt  entry_points.txt
ipkg.info  not-zip-safe  requires.txt  top_level.txt

Oscar