[Distutils] PEP453 - Explicit bootstrapping of pip in Python installations

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Fri Aug 30 18:07:47 CEST 2013

On Aug 30, 2013, at 12:04 PM, Marcus Smith <qwcode at gmail.com> wrote:

> There's no mention of setuptools.
> I guess the handling of that dependency (or not handling it up front, if pip is refactored such that setuptools just becomes a dependency when building) is considered an implementation detail of get-pip?

It's not mentioned by name but instead it's said:

An additional module called ``getpip`` will be added to the standard library
whose purpose is to install pip and any of its dependencies into the
appropriate location (most commonly site-packages).

Setuptools would be the "and any of its dependencies". I want to make setuptools not depend on setuptools but I added that as an escape clause incase that proves to be hard to actually do. The PEP itself specifies only pip because I'm considering setuptools an implementation detail of pip (one that can be replaced eventually or removed from it's "special" status).

Donald Stufft