[Distutils] Distributable binary with dependencies

bharath ravi kumar reachbach at outlook.com
Fri Aug 23 12:45:31 CEST 2013

Hi,
I'm looking to package an application with all its dependencies for deployment on multiple hosts. I'd like to ensure that there is no compilation or setup step before starting the application in production.  An nice to have ability would be to isolate base library dependencies per application (like virtualenv does). Ideally, the development -> deployment lifecycle would involve: (a) Build an application archive with all its dependencies baked in (b) Copy archive to a host in production. (c) Unwrap archive (d) Start services. (Note that the build host & production hosts are identical in architecture, OS patch level and python version).
Having looked at various tools (e.g. distutils, setup tools, pip + virtualenv, egg, wheel, pyinstaller, etc.) available to address specific aspects/stages of the development lifecycle, I'm undecided on the tool/methodology to adopt in order to comprehensively solve the above problem. Any recommendation in this regard would be very helpful. Thanks for for your time.
-Bharath