[Distutils] State of the wheel spec (Was: How to handle launcher script importability?)

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Thu Aug 22 10:24:45 CEST 2013

On 21 August 2013 23:20, Vinay Sajip <vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Um, the current wheel spec uses PEP 345 + setuptools metadata only. If
> distlib is expecting PEP 426 metadata in wheel files, it is not compliant
> with
> the spec.
>
> I can certainly rectify that - I was possibly confused by the fact that the
> latest wheel implementation writes pydist.json to the wheel (though the
> Wheel-
> Version in WHEEL is still 1.0).

Conversely, of course, there's no mention in the wheel spec that setuptools
metadata (specifically entry-points.txt) should be present. Which is why I
mentioned that the wheel spec might need a review/update to clarify this
(if we want to ensure that any necessary script metadata is guaranteed to
be present in compliant wheels).

Paul