[Distutils] Installing from a wheel

Oscar Benjamin oscar.j.benjamin at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 18:21:02 CEST 2013

On 21 August 2013 15:57, Daniel Holth <dholth at gmail.com> wrote:

> A fresh virtualenv would have been the humane way to get a working
> 'pip install wheel'.

Good point. I think I learned an important point going through that
upgrade mess though: uninstall/reinstall is safer than upgrade.

> Wheel's built in installer isn't intended to replace or be better than
> pip in any way. It's just for reference or bootstrapping.

Fair enough. Can I suggest that it have a --version option (since it
is traditional)?

> FYI if you point pip directly at the .whl file you can omit --use-wheel.

Okay I've just tried that and that's definitely the way I want to use it.

So basically:
$ python setup.py bdist_wheel  # Makes wheels
    and
$ pip install foo.whl  # Installs wheels

If someone wants to import the bdist_wheel command and use it outside
of setuptools setup() (in the way that numpy does) where should they
import it from? I'm thinking of something like this:
https://github.com/numpy/numpy/blob/master/numpy/distutils/command/bdist_rpm.py

Is the following appropriate?

from wheel.bdist_wheel import bdist_wheel

class mybdist_wheel(bdist_wheel):

(the wheel API docs don't describe using bdist_wheel from Python code.)

Oscar