[Distutils] Installing from a wheel

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 16:57:54 CEST 2013

On 21 August 2013 15:48, Oscar Benjamin <oscar.j.benjamin at gmail.com> wrote:

> > For people watching at home, upgrading pip really isn't this scary :-)
> I'm
> > just making it sound scary (a) because I don't know the precise upgrade
> > instructions for setuptools and (b) because you need to do setuptools and
> > pip separately, and use python -m pip on Windows to upgrade pip (neither
> of
> > which are immediately obvious).
>
> Is it perhaps safer to suggest the following?
> a) uninstall pip/setuptools/distribute
> b) run ez_setup.py
> c) run get-pip.py
>
> That's what I just did and it worked fine. Perhaps there could be one
> script that does steps a), b) and c) to smooth the path for anyone
> upgrading?

It probably is. I've heard concerns that people want to avoid suggesting
manual uninstalls and having to download the setup scripts. But it seems
simple enough to me. (What would I know, I just run virtualenv and leave it
at that :-))

Glad it worked in the end, anyway, and sorry if my instructions made it
harder than it needed to be.

As regards distribute, I suspect that the reason you hit issues is that if
you have a setuptools that's older than 0.7 (or whatever the first merged
version was) then an upgrade can end up jumping through some hoops and
going through a "dummy" distribute version that's there to handle the
fork/re-merge somehow. I honestly don't know how it all works, I'm just
going off what I saw on some of the discussions on pypa-dev at the time. It
all sounded very clever to me, but a bit fragile. I'm a simple soul, and
prefer to just wipe it out and reinstall, so I zoned out after a while:-) I
doubt the details matter to you now, though...

Paul