[Distutils] How to handle launcher script importability?

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Wed Aug 21 11:48:57 CEST 2013

On Aug 21, 2013, at 5:46 AM, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 21 August 2013 10:29, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
> Can you send me a list (or post them here) of what issues you've hit? The biggest one i'm aware of is the scripts problem which is a fundamental problem with the 1.0 Wheel (or rather that any library with console entry points cannot be universal).
>
> The scripts one is the key one (and yes, that needs to be fixed by updating the spec to confirm the consensus and then updating the tools to match).

+1

> Another one IIRC was that distlib didn't put entry-points.txt in the .dist-info directory in the wheel (which breaks entry points). I think that's fixed now (and again, the Wheel spec is silent on what is correct behaviour here).

Ah yes, This one is a bit harder because it's a non standard file added by setuptools, but yea it probably should be adding that file.

> I'll try to dig out the others, but they weren't anywhere near as major (some were also script-related such as inconsistent rewriting of shebang lines, which are superseded by the current state of play on scripts anyway). Generally, though, they were all areas where the 1.0 spec is silent (or just a bit vague) on details, and I was hitting implementation-defined differences. (For example, I was surprised to find that nowhere in the Wheel 1.0 spec does it actually state the metadata version that wheels should contain internally, just that it should be stored in a file called METADATA and that it should follow PKG-INFO which sort of implies that it's a 1.X format). Without an implementation that matches the spec precisely, though, it's often hard to know where to report bugs.
>
> Paul.

I think Wheel files are (and should be) independent of the particular metadata version used. That file should contain the required information in order to know what version of the metadata is included with the Wheel. This means that as metadata evolves Wheels can just start using the new meta data version without requiring an update to the spec.

Donald Stufft